What is a Cover Supervisor?
Cover Supervisors are suitably trained individuals who supervise pupils carrying out pre-prepared exercises when teaching staff are on short-term absence. The Cover Supervisor’s main job is to manage a classroom, ensuring that pupils remain on task with the work they have been set. They will cover lessons in a variety of subject areas and must be flexible, patient, and willing to use a certain degree of initiative.
Whilst no teaching qualification is required, the successful candidate will have the ability to create a climate for learning and establish a working atmosphere, ensuring that students remain focused on their work across all subjects. They will genuinely enjoy working with pupils of all abilities and will be able to establish and build relationships with them, whilst displaying a calm, authoritative and professional manner. The role will not require any active teaching, marking or planning.
- supervising work that has been set in accordance with the school policy
- managing the behaviour of pupils while they are undertaking this work to ensure a constructive environment
- responding to any questions from pupils about process and procedures
- dealing with any immediate problems or emergencies according to the school’s policies and procedures
- collecting any completed work after the lesson and returning it to the appropriate teacher
- reporting back as appropriate using the school’s agreed referral procedures on the behaviour of pupils during the class, and any issues arising
What do you need from me?
- Experience of working in a classroom environment
- The ability to support pupils at all Key Stages
- The ability to work closely with the teaching staff and teaching assistants
- The ability to motivate pupils to learn through developing a creative and stimulating learning experience
- The ability to build a good rapport with pupils
- Two up-to-date referees one of whom must be your current or last employer
- Registration with the Education Workforce Council (EWC). If not yet registered, BEST staff can guide you through the process
- An enhanced DBS with registration through the update service. If not in receipt of a DBS, BEST staff are able to complete this process with you
What can you expect from BEST?
- A personal service from our dedicated team
- Regular and varied supply work
- Competitive pay rates
- Holiday pay
- Potential long-term roles
- Free access to a range of online CPD courses
- Full training provided
- Fully compliant with the Agency Workers Regulation (AWR)
- A respected reputation for supplying quality staff throughout schools.
All suitable applicants will be contacted to discuss the position and invited to interview.